2018 Mazda CX-5 – Automotive Review
The exterior of the 2018 Mazda CX-5 was slightly redesigned with a new front grille, and lower placed headlights with sharp LED fog lights. The design of this vehicle embodies the Japanese Mazda KODO idea, reminisce to flowing lines of calligraphy and “soul of motion” that can be found in their art like craftsmanship. While it may be designed with a Japanese focus, they didn’t forget about the intricacies of the Canadian market, with design features such as zinc-coated steel corrosion plates, and an insulated engine compartment for our harsh winter weather.
Following the high bar set by the exterior design team, the luxury and quality continues to be found throughout the interior of the Mazda CX-5. Starting with the unique signature material found in what they call “Metal Wood,” which provides the warmth and depth of wood paneling with the strength and toughness of metal. Mazda has really focused on the driving experience and how technology can positively impact the massive time-consuming activity of transportation. An example of this that can be found in the interior, is the surprisingly quiet cabin, which has been sound deadened from materials in the floorboards, sound insulating glass, and extensive seal insulation. While outside noise may be minimized, the 10 speaker BOSE professional stereo system was custom designed for the new CX-5 and took into consideration things like cabin size, seat position, and sound variances. These comforts aren’t only for the front passengers, as Mazda has included many features for the rear seats as well, such as heater ducts under the seats, reclining seats as well as available heated rear seats, rear passenger vents, and dual-zone climate controls. The 20/40/20 split can provide up to 1,687 L of cargo space which can easily handle a few large and small suitcases for the family.
SKYACTIV and i-ACTIV technologies can be found all over the drivetrain of this SUV. The high-efficiency SKYACTIV-G engine helps provide better fuel economy and torque compared to a standard gasoline engine while reducing noise and vibration. The Mazda CX-5 is available in a 2.0 L, 2.5 L, and a 2.5 L with the available new technology of Cylinder Deactivation. This automatically shuts down two of the cylinders in light-load situations such as when cruising at a constant speed to provide fuel savings. i-ACTIV AWD found in the CX-5 can forecast road conditions and adjust to deliver increased traction exactly when it is needed. Monitoring driving conditions 200 per second helps predict road conditions and the technology can ensure optimal distribution of torque and minimizes drivetrain energy loss, meaning that you’re only using fuel to power AWD when it’s required. To put all this refinement to work the CX-5 includes SKYACTIV-VEHICLE DYNAMICS with G-Vectoring Control, which was the winner of the 2017 AJAC Best New Innovation Technology Award. It works behind the scenes to achieve a smoother, less fatiguing drive by responding with fewer steering adjustments and suppressing head and body sway for greater comfort and a higher sense of control during abrupt maneuvers or driving in poor road conditions such as rain and snow.
Technology and Safety
Comes loaded with a slew of sensors, and alerts that help ensure proper safe driving practices. The CX-5 offers many ways to remind you to stay focused on the road and offers an exciting glimpse at how technology will improve the safety and quality of driving in the future
- i-ACTIVSENSE features:
- Smart Brake Support
- Helps avoid or reduce the severity of a collision at speeds above 16 km/hour
- Alerts the driver and apply the brakes in the case of an impending collision
- Smart City Brake Support
- Detects objects ahead and prepares the vehicle by adjusting brake pads closer to the disc
- The system automatically applies the brakes
- Pedestrian Detection
- Detects pedestrians at speeds between 10 and 80 km/hr.
- Mazda Radar Cruise Control with Stop and Go Function
- Relative speed and distance to the car ahead, right down to 0 km/hour, maintaining a safe following distance
- Distance Recognition Support System
- Measures the distance between your vehicle and the vehicle ahead and recommends a comfortable following distance.
- Forward Obstruction Warning
- Detects vehicles ahead and alerts the driver to an approaching risk of collision
- Advanced Blind Spot Monitoring System with Rear Cross Traffic Alert
- Detects objects in your left and right blind spots, and alerts you before a fast-approaching vehicle enters your blind spot
- Traffic Sign Recognition system
- Uses cameras to read road signs such as speed limit, do not enter and stop signs
- Lane-keep Assist System
- Lane Departure Warning
- Predicts the vehicle is going to unintentionally depart from its lane.
- Adaptive Front-lighting System
- As you turn into a corner, the headlights pivot up to 15 degrees in the direction of your turn
- High Beam Control System
- Automatically switches to low beams when it detects oncoming traffic and/or a vehicle ahead
- Smart Brake Support
- Starting at $27,920 CND
- AJAC’s Best Small Utility Vehicle in Canada for 2018
- Mazda Unlimited Mileage Warranty
- Features unlimited mileage for
- 3-YEAR New Vehicle, 3-YEAR Roadside Assistance, 5-YEAR Powertrain and 7-YEAR Anti-Perforation warranties
- Features unlimited mileage for